Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- (with Jannik Otto & Patrick Hauser), Private enforcement of competition law in Germany and the Netherlands, in
Research Handbook on Private Enforcement of Competition Law in the EU, 458-503 (Barry J. Rodger, Miguel Sousa Ferro & Francisco Marcos eds., Edward Elgar, 2023). [SSRN (full text)] [Edward Elgar]
- Le Tribunal de l'Union européenne confirme l'analyse du portefeuille de créneaux effectuée par la Commission dans le cadre de deux fusions de deux compagnies aériennes (Trib. UE, 20 oct. 2021, 2 arrêts, Polskie Linie Lotnicze, T-240/18 et T-296/18), in Grands arrêts du droit de la concurrence - Contrôle des concentrations, 73-79 (Laurence Idot ed., Concurrences, 2023). [Concurrences] [SSRN (version in English)]
- (in Japanese) The Rise of Big Tech: Is Competition Law Doing Its Job?, in Mada hōgaku wo shiranai kimi he - mirai wo hiraku 13 kō [free translation: Discover the study of law: 13 lectures that open up a whole new world] 155-165 (University of Tokyo, Faculty of Law, "gendai to hō" Committee, eds. Yuhikaku, 2022).
「ビッグテックの台頭ー競争法は機能しているか？」東京大学法学部「現代と法」委員会編『まだ、法学を知らない君へ――未来をひらく13講』155-168頁(有斐閣2022年7月）[Version in English on SSRN]
- Remedies, in EU Competition Law Volume II: Mergers and Acquisitions, 763-863 (Christopher Jones & Lisa Weinert eds., Edward Elgar, 3d ed. 2021). [Edward Elgar]
- (in Japanese) Competition Law and Digital Platforms: Are Remedies and Commitments Effective?, Annual of the Japan Association of Economic Law 2021 77-97 (2021).
- (in Japanese) CK Telecoms - The Judgment that Jolted EU Merger Control, 1196 NBL 88-94 (2021).
- (with Carles Esteva Mosso), EU Merger Control: How to Remove Anticompetitive Effects?, in Remedies in EU Competition Law: Substance, Process and Policy 41-52 (Damien Gerard & Assimakis Komninos eds., Wolters Kluwer, September 2020). [SSRN (full text) Kluwer]
- Private Enforcement of Antitrust Law in Belgium and the Netherlands – Is There a Race to Attract Antitrust Damages Actions?, in Private Enforcement of EU Competition Law - The Impact of the Damages Directive 118-148 (Pier Luigi Parcu, Giorgio Monti & Marco Botta eds., Edward Elgar, 2018). [SSRN (full text)]
- Multi-jurisdictioneel concentratietoezicht: bederven veel koks de brij? (Multi-Jurisdictional Merger Control: Do Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth?), 5/6 Tijdschrift Mededingingsrecht in de Praktijk 62-65 (2016). [SSRN (full text)]
- (with Tadashi Shiraishi), Competition Law in Japan, in Comparative Competition Law415-442 (Arlen Duke, John Duns, Brendan Sweeney eds., Edward Elgar, 2015). [SSRN (full text)]
- What Keeps Plaintiffs away from the Court? An Analysis of Antitrust Litigation in Japan, Europe and the US, in The Changing Role of Law in Japan – Empirical Studies in Culture, Society and Policy Making 209-228 (Dimitri Vanoverbeke, Jeroen Maesschalck, David Nelken & Stephan Parmentier eds., Edward Elgar, 2014). [SSRN (full text)]
- Competition and Competition Law in Japan: Between Skepticism And Embrace, in Asian Capitalism and the Regulation of Competition 123-143 (Michael W. Dowdle, John S. Gillespie & Imelda Maher eds., Cambridge University Press, 2013). [Cambridge] [SSRN (abstract)]
- The Saitama Saturday Club Case: Political Meddling, Public Opinion and Antitrust Enforcement in Japan at a Turning Point, in Landmark Competition Law Cases - Around the World in Fourteen Stories 183-202 (Barry Rodger ed., Kluwer Law International, 2013) and in Journal of Japanese Law / Zeitschrift für Japanisches Recht 143-164 (Winter 2013). [SSRN (full text)] [Amazon] (short-listed for the Antitrust Writing Awards 2014 by the contest's Academic Steering Committee)
- Collective Actions by Indirect Purchasers: Lessons from the Japanese Oil Cartel Cases, in Collective Actions: Enhancing Access to Justice and Reconciling Multilayer Interests?, 299-338 (Stefan Wrbka, Steven Van Uytsel & Mathias Siems eds., Cambridge University Press, 2012). [Cambridge]
- Private Enforcement of Antitrust Law in Japan: An Empirical Analysis, 8 Competition Law Review 7-28 (2012). [Journal (full text)] [SSRN] (short-listed for the Antitrust Writing Awards 2013 by the contest's Academic Steering Committee)
- Deterrence of Antitrust Violations: Do Actions for Damages Matter in Japan?, 2 Asian Journal of Law and Economics, Issue 4, 1-15 (2011). [Journal] [SSRN (full text)]
- Antitrust Damages Actions Styled as Unjust Enrichment Claims: A Comment on the Tokyo District Court’s Decision in the Jet Fuel Bid-Rigging Case [published as A Japanese court awards damages (restitution) to the Japanese State in a bid-rigging case concerning the supply of jet fuel], e-Competitions Bulletin, 7 pp., www.concurrences.com (June 2011 (added February 2013)). [SSRN (full text)]
- (with Paulius Jurčys), Summary of Discussions on International Jurisdiction, Applicable Law and Recognition and Enforcement of Judgments in Intellectual Property Litigation, in Intellectual Property in the Global Arena - Jurisdiction, Applicable Law, and the Recognition of Judgments in Europe, Japan and the U.S., 49-51, 148-156, 229-235, 341-346 (Jürgen Basedow, Toshiyuki Kōno & Axel Metzger eds., Mohr Siebeck, 2010). [Table of Contents]
- Book Review: Masako Wakui, Antimonopoly Law: Competition Law and Policy in Japan, 29 Journal of Japanese Law / Zeitschrift für Japanisches Recht 289-292 (Spring 2010).
- (with Ana Baptista et al.), The Experience of 20 Japanese Companies in Belgium - Berugī shinshutsu nikkei kigyō no jōkyō - 20 sha no jirei, 137 pp. (Belgium-Japan Association & Chamber of Commerce, 2006).
- (with Joost Verlinden), Arbitration in Belgium, in The International Comparative Guide to International Arbitration 2005, at 58-63 (Alan Falach ed., Global Legal Group, 2005).
- Mag het iets meer zijn? De bescherming van slachtoffers van interne gewapende conflicten na de uitspraken van het ad hoc tribunaal voor ex-Joegoslavië [The Protection of Victims of Internal Armed Conflict in Light of the Recent Case Law of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia], Zoeklicht (now Internationaal Humanitair Recht in de Kijker), May 2001, 23-29 and VVN Berichten (now Wereldbeeld), June 2001, 57-63.
[recipient of the Red Cross Essay Contest Prize]
- The European Commission rejects jurisdiction over a concentration in the TV broadcasting sector after finding that there would be no joint control (Commission decision of 10 January 2022,
Iliad, Case C.1886), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 1-2023, 105-107 (March 2023). [SSRN (full text)]
- The European Commission imposes a fine for failure to disclose an innovation project in the context of a merger remedy proposal (Merck / Sigma-Aldrich), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 3-2022, 124-127 (September 2022). [ResearchGate (full text as published)]
- The General Court of the European Union affirms the Commission’s slot portfolio analysis in two airline mergers (T-240/18 and T-296/18, LOT v. Commission), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 1-2022, 123-126 (March 2022). [SSRN (full text)] [ResearchGate (full text as published)]
- The European Commission clears the acquisition of a maker of fitness trackers and smartwatches by a major online platform, subject to long-lasting behavioural remedies (Google / Fitbit), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 3-2021, 123-127 (September 2021). [SSRN (full text)]
- The General Court annuls the Commission's prohibition of a four-to-three merger in the UK telecoms sector, in the first judgment to directly deal with the legal test for "gap cases" (T-399/16 - CK Telecoms UK v. European Commission), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 3-2020, 122-125 (September 2020). [SSRN (full text)]
- The Commission approves a merger leading to very high combined market shares in the chemicals sector with remedies (Synthomer / Omnova), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 3-2020, 130-131 (September 2020). [SSRN (full text)]
- The European Commission Approves a Telecoms Merger With Commitments to Address Unilateral Horizontal Effects Without Dominance (So-called "Gap Case") (Vodafone / Liberty Global), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 1-2020, www.concurrences.com (February 2020). [SSRN (full text)]
- The Belgian Competition Authority Clears a Vertical Merger in the Audiovisual Sector, Subject to Conditions (Liberty Global / De Vijver Media), Concurrences Competition Law Review, Nr. 3-2019, 120-122 (September 2019). [SSRN (full text)]
- Predatory Pricing in Japan - The Battle Between Yamato and Japan Post in the Parcel Delivery Market [published as The Japanese High Court of Tokyo dismisses a predatory pricing lawsuit in the market for door-to-door delivery services], e-Competitions Bulletin, Nov. 2007, 8 pp., Art. Nr. 72926, www.concurrences.com (added to the database in August 2015). [SSRN (full text)]
- Antitrust Damages Actions Styled as Unjust Enrichment Claims: A Comment on the Tokyo District Court's Decision in the Jet Fuel Bid-Rigging Case [published as The Tokyo District Court awards damages to the Japanese State in a bid-rigging case concerning the supply of jet fuel], e-Competitions Bulletin, June 2011, 7 pp., Art. Nr. 50858, www.concurrences.com (added to the database in August 2015). [SSRN (full text)]
- Case Comment: Republic of Iraq v Vinci S.A. (enforcement of judgments against sovereign States), in Oxford Reports on International Law (A. Nollkaemper & al. eds., Oxford University Press, 2007). [Database (subscription required)]
- Case Comment: Democratic Republic of Congo v Segrim NV (enforcement of judgments against sovereign States), in Oxford Reports on International Law (A. Nollkaemper & al. eds., Oxford University Press, 2007). [Database (subscription required)]
Articles in newsletters
- (with Alexandre Bertuzzi et al.), Bayer / Monsanto - protecting innovation and product competition in seeds, traits and pesticides, Competition merger brief, Issue 2/2018 (European Commission, Brussels), Dec. 2018, at 6-12. [Full-text]
- (with Fanny Dumont, Ngoc-Lan Lang, Melanie Schmillen & Mauro Sibilia), Lufthansa/Air Berlin - the slot machine, Competition merger brief, Issue 1/2018 (European Commission, Brussels), July 2018, at 9-12. [Full-text]
- (with Fanny Dumont, Pablo Serrano & Szabolcs Lőrincz, Smiths / Morpho , Competition merger brief, Issue 2/2017 (European Commission, Brussels), July 2017, at 18-20. [Full-text]
- (with Fanny Dumont, Luca Manigrassi & Staffan Martinsson), Liberty Global/BASE: Fixing it first in the Belgian mobile market, Competition merger brief, Issue 2/2016 (European Commission, Brussels), July 2016, at 10-12. [Full-text]
- (with Julia Wambach), No magic number to dial - The Commission's review of mobile telecoms mergers, Competition merger brief, Issue 1/2014 (European Commission, Brussels), Nov. 2014, at 10-16. [Full-text]
- Towards a Europe-wide Collective Action?, Global Dispute Resolution (Linklaters LLP, London), Feb. 2008, at 17-18.
Table ronde sur les mecanismes de renvoi, in Catherine Prieto (dir.), «Actes du colloque ‘Vers un réseau européen de contrôle des concentrations’ du 12 juin 2019»,Revue juridique de la Sorbonne, n° 1, juin 2020, p.72-104. [Revue Sorbonne (full-text)]
- Recent Developments in Competition Law and Consumer Law in the EU – With a Specific Focus on the Digital Markets Act and E-commerce Platforms (presentation, Nov. 2022) [pdf on this site]